Enterprise Green Communities Criteria
Meeting Green Communities Criteria with HomeFree
HomeFree Resources for 2020 Enterprise Green Communities Criteria
Specify and install products with publicly disclosed content and health hazards.
Use building products that feature recycled content and disclosure about that recycled content.
Specify and install products that minimize human and environmental health hazards.
Avoid key chemicals of concern in specific product categories.
6.1 Ingredient Transparency for Material Health
We believe you have a right to know what’s in the materials in your buildings. Transparency is the first step to understanding and avoiding hazardous impacts on building occupants, workers, and fenceline communities. Learn more here.
6.2 Recycled Content and Ingredient Transparency
6.3 Chemical Hazard Optimization
6.4 Healthier Material Selection
Many products have not yet been fully optimized to be free of all hazardous content. But, you can make important steps in your journey to selecting healthier materials by avoiding key chemicals of concern. Browse each product category below to review applicable requirements and resources.
- Required: Low VOC content for all interior paints, coatings, and primers.
- Required: Certified low VOC emissions for all wall finish paints. Optional: Certified low VOC emissions for additional coatings or primers.
- Optional: APE-free paint, coating, or primer.
Learn more about why these criteria are important and how to vet paint for these criteria with our Paint Hazard Spectrum.
- Required: Low VOC content for all interior adhesives and sealants.
- Optional: Low VOC emissions for adhesives.
- Optional: Use of sealants that do not contain orthophthalate plasticizers.
Include language in your specifications requiring flooring adhesives have low VOC content and preferring products that have a low-VOC emission certification. Sample spec language is available in the HomeFree Flooring Specifications here.
- Required: All flooring products have low-VOC emission certification.
- Required: No vinyl floor with phthalates (either intentionally added or added via recycled content).
- Optional: Absence of vinyl flooring throughout the project.
- Optional: If using carpet, specify those that do not use a fluorinated (PFAS) stain repellent.
- Required: If fiberglass or mineral wool batts are used, these must be formaldehyde-free.
- Optional: The project does not include any two-part spray polyurethane foam.
- Optional: The project uses board insulation that does not contain halogenated flame retardants
- Required: Plywood, particleboard, MDF, and these materials within other products like cabinets and doors, meet formaldehyde emission limits of CARB Phase 2 and/or TSCA Title VI.
- Required: Other composite wood products not covered by CARB/TSCA requirements, but used in interior spaces, must have no added urea formaldehyde.
- Optional: Use of composite woods that are certified ultra-low emitting formaldehyde (ULEF) or no added formaldehyde (NAF).