Latest News > New Sealant Category for Healthier Energy Efficiency Programs
New Sealant Category for Healthier Energy Efficiency Programs
Healthy Building Network has introduced a new sealant category on HomeFree, our national initiative supporting affordable housing leaders who are improving human health by using less-toxic building materials. The new recommendations and hazard spectrum were developed by HBN for the Energy Efficiency for All (EEFA) Healthier Affordable Building Materials project.
Key recommendations include:
- Avoid sealants that contain hazardous phthalates.
- Prefer caulk-type sealants to spray foam sealants.
- If foam sealing products are needed, prefer those that are not reacted on site.
- Absent full content disclosure, prefer acrylic-based sealants with very low VOC content.
- Avoid products marketed as antimicrobial, suggesting health benefits.
Stay tuned for the publication of a comprehensive guide on healthier insulation and air sealing materials, plus policy recommendations, in the coming months.
Meanwhile, see the new sealant category on HomeFree now.