Latest News > Turn Black Friday GREEN
Turn Black Friday GREEN
As Thanksgiving approaches, so does a range of retail-focused days, including Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, and Cyber Monday. We all want our holiday gifts to be magical and memorable, but often these purchases have real human health and environmental impacts.
From production to installation to use and disposal, the products we interact with have the opportunity to impact our bodies and earth through their chemical components. Hazardous chemicals migrate out of products we use every day and can be found in our water, air, food, and bodies, impacting our health and our communities. Babies today are exposed to more than 200 industrial chemicals before they are even born. Cancer, asthma, obesity, and developmental and reproductive issues are on the rise. It’s time to heal, and here at HBN, we are poised to be a force for healing, together, with you.
You have the power to change this narrative with your dollars this year. You can make sure you know the safest, most natural options free of hazards. When you know better, you make more informed purchases and can protect yourself, your family, community, and environment.
Below are resources to help you find safer products for your family and home. By making mindful choices, you'll make these holidays healthier for your family and for future generations.
Resources to help you turn your Black Friday purchases Green:
- HomeFree Product Guide - Building Product Guidance from Healthy Building Network
- Consumer Products: EWG - Consumer Guides; Silent Spring Institute - DetoxMe
- Safe Product Guide - Children’s Products: Healthy Babies Bright Futures
- Retailer Report Card - Best in Class Retail Stores: Mind the Store
Resources to help your community:
- Find and Support Black Owned Businesses
- Find and Support Indigenous Owned Businesses
- Buy Local - from artists, craftspeople, and manufacturers who live, work and contribute ethically to your local economy.
- Buy Nothing - Do Something - The Story of Stuff. The holidays aren’t about the gift itself, but the thought behind it and the people we love! Consider these alternatives: sharing a home cooked meal, taking a class together, attending an event at a local performing arts center, volunteering together, making a donation in their name or spending some quality time together.
- Green Giving: This Giving Tuesday (November 30) we hope you’ll show your commitment to a safer, healthier future for our planet and the people who inhabit it by supporting our mission. Consider giving the gift that heals and make a contribution to HBN today. A healthier world is possible!