Latest News > Turn Black Friday into GREEN Friday
Turn Black Friday into GREEN Friday
As Thanksgiving approaches, so does a range of retail-focused days, including Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, and Cyber Monday. We all want our holiday gifts to be magical and memorable, but often these purchases have real human health and environmental impacts.
From production to installation to use and disposal, the products we interact with have the opportunity to impact our bodies and our earth through their chemical components. Hazardous chemicals migrate out of products we use every day and can be found in our water, air, food, and bodies, impacting our health and our communities. Babies today are exposed to more than 200 industrial chemicals before they are even born. Cancer, asthma, obesity, and developmental and reproductive issues are on the rise.
You have the power to change this narrative with your dollars this year. If you are sprucing up your home with a quick remodel, make sure you know the safest paints. If you are concerned about cosmetics and personal care products that might be linked to infertility, or wonder if the toys you purchase contain chemicals that cause developmental harm, pick the most natural options. Do you really need winter gear that’s coated with cancer-causing waterproofing chemicals that end up in our bodies and water supplies? If not, find great gear without the hazards. If you know better, you can make informed purchases.
Below are resources to help you find safer products for your family and home. We also have ideas to find alternative ways to celebrate the holidays without “stuff”. By making mindful choices, you can make these holidays healthier for your family and for future generations.
Resources to help you turn your purchases from Black to Green:
- Building Products: Healthy Building Network - HomeFree Product Guide
- Consumer Products: EWG - Consumer Guides; Silent Spring Institute - DetoxMe; GSP - Product Guide
- Children’s Products: Healthy Babies Bright Futures - Safe Product Guide
- Best in Class Retail Stores: Mind the Store - Retailer Report Card
- Find and Support Black Owned Businesses
- The Story of Stuff: Buy Nothing - Do Something
- Buy Local - from artists, craftspeople, and manufacturers who live, work and contribute ethically to your local economy: Buying Local Benefits
Green Giving: This Giving Tuesday - December 1, we’ll be asking for your contributions to help HBN continue to conduct vital research and education about toxic chemicals in our materials. A healthier world is possible. Why not get a head start and make a contribution today?