Uniting our voices for change
- Build awareness of the lack of material content disclosure and need for transparency in the affordable housing sector.
- Aggregate and empower the voice of the affordable housing sector and HomeFree users to lead market transformation for healthier products at all price points.
Fill out this form to receive more information about the transparency pledge, or bring it to the decision maker at your organization.
Pathways to Action
There are multiple pathways to meaningfully action. Big or small, the most important step is the first step, taking the pledge.
- Sign the pledge.
- Encourage project teams to review HomeFree content and sign up for free online education content on HomeFree Campus
- For example, include a requirement to review the HomeFree product categories and disclosure preference in RFQ/RFP process.
- Include in your specifications preference for products with public HPDs that have all contents characterized, screened, and identified to 100 ppm (parts per million). Further prefer products that have full public disclosure and have had their contents verified by a third party.
- Prioritize updating specifications for the nine product categories on HomeFree.
- Expand the request to other products.
- Send individual and joint letters to manufacturers voicing your demand for materials transparency.
|Manufacturer Product Disclosure Request Template||An email and letter template formatted with the information needed to make a disclosure request from a manufacturer.||Tool|
|Health Product Declaration Collaborative||The Health Product Declaration® (HPD) Collaborative is a customer-led, member organization committed to the continuous improvement of the building industry’s performance through transparency, openness, and innovation in the product supply chain.||Assessment Tool|
|Health Product Declarations (HPDs)||HPDs use a standard reporting format for disclosing a product’s contents and associated health hazards. They are an inventory tool and do not provide explicit judgement on safer products.||Assessment Tool|
|Health Product Declaration Public Repository||The Health Product Declaration (HPD) Public Repository is the authoritative source for published HPDs. HPDs are searchable and available to be downloaded by users – architects, designers, project teams, property owners, or any interested party.||Assessment Tool|
|Cradle to Cradle Institute||Cradle2Cradle sets product standards to guide designers and manufacturers to make products in fundamentally better ways. They provide a C2C Certified Products Registry and a Materials Health Certificate Registry.||Certification Program|
|Declare||Declare™ is a material certification program from ILFI. It is a transparency platform and product database that address where a product comes from, what it is made of, and where it goes at the end of its useful life.||Certification Program|
|Declare Labels||Declare Labels are building material “nutrition labels” which identify whether products contain any of a subset of hazardous chemicals that are included on the Living Building Challenge Red List.||Certification Program|
|Prescription for Healthier Building Materials: A Design and Implementation Protocol||A Prescription for Healthier Building Materials from the AIA and ARUP is described by the AIA as a stepwise method for setting healthier material goal and criteria definitions, product selection, track and specification.||Guide|